Weingut Weszeli can be found in the charming city of Langenlois, a region with a long-standing reputation for wine. The winery’s success is owed, in part, to the Summerer family, which has owned and maintained the estate’s vineyards since 1679. The winemakers, Rupert and Elizabeth Summerer have dedicated their souls to the land they have tended since 1997, and after its purchase by Davis Weszeli, have stayed on to help preserve their family’s estate and traditions for at least a few vintages longer while instructing winemakers-to-be. Preservation of the area’s biodiversity maintains a priority. Thus, a cover crop is planted for soil health as well as attractants for animal and microbial activity. There is no thought of chemical treatments. They maintain 30 hectares of Riesling and Grüner Veltliner vines that will then keep themselves healthy, because they are in harmony with all life. They carry this ethos to the cellar as well. Why ruin a perfectly grown grape? Here, their instruction from nature allows for harmony of the traditional and modern world. The wine makes itself, spontaneously fermenting, but is guided by temperature-controlled steel vats, a gentle pneumatic press and a CO2 system for bottling. This preserves the purity and spirit of the grapes to make as Rupert calls his ‘wines of character.’ The character stems from a mix of complex soils and the mix of warm sun and cool nights. This is twenty hectares of magical land, ruled by bio-equality, which reveals itself in every bottle offered by Weingut Weszeli.
Currently in organic conversion and will be certified in 2020. Certified Vegan.
From 25 year old vines planted in loess soils, the grapes are sorted in the vineyard as they are being hand-harvested between the middle and end of September. Some 90% undergoes whole cluster pressing and spends three hours macerating, while the remaining 10% is de-stemmed and spends 96 hours on the skins. Spontaneous fermentation takes place in steel tanks and lasts three weeks under temperature control. The wine spends two months in contact with the lees (no stirring). The whole cluster lot is aged in steel tank for two-and-a-half months while the de-stemmed portion is aged a minimum of six months. Filtered at bottling.
Kamptal DAC, ‘Loiserberg’
From 20 year old vines grown on gneiss soils, the vines underwent natural green harvesting after early frosts and drought, with alternating sun and heavy rains later in the season and the results: a beautifully elegant wine full of flowers, fresh aromatic white fruits and slightly lower alcohol.
Kamptal DAC, ‘Langenlois’
100% Grüner Veltliner
Grown on loess soils and ranging in age between 5-50 years, underwent natural green harvesting due to heavy rains followed by a long warm season and mid-summer rains to revivify the grapes. A long mild and predominently dry harvesting period produced a wine with resounding structure, fruit and depth.
Kamptal DAC, ‘Steingarten'
100% Grüner Veltliner
Aging between 13-52 years, grown on sea sediment intermixed with limestone, these vines were one of the few to have not been affected by late frosts, leaving green harvesting to be done in early June. The season marked by alternating sun and rain, but with patience at harvest, seeing low yields and a cool vintage, a delicate, low alcohol wine emerged.
Kamptal DAC, Purus
100% Grüner Veltliner
From 10-20 year old vines grown on loess soils, the vines underwent natural green harvesting after early frosts and drought, with alternating sun and heavy rains later in the season. The grapes are hand-harvested in early-to-mid October, while undergoing selective vineyard sorting, before whole cluster pressing and then fermentation in stainless steel with ambient yeasts for four weeks. The wine spends 16-18 months on the lees, with no stirring, as it's aging in 50% steel and 50% large French oak barrels. Candle filtered at bottling.
Kamptal DAC Reserve, Seeberg
From 45 year old vines grown on mica schist over chalk, the vines underwent natural green harvesting after early frosts and drought, with alternating sun and heavy rains later in the season. The grapes are hand-harvested in mid-October, undergo selective vineyard sorting before whole cluster pressing and then fermentation in steel with ambient yeasts for four weeks with temperature control. The wine spends 16-18 months on lees, with no stirring, as it's aging in large French oak barrels. Candle filtered at bottling.